FIDA Nigeria’s Call for an End to Dehumanizing Treatment and Police Brutality
The International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) Nigeria joins in speaking out against the repeated wave of Police brutality, abuse and infringement of Human rights, which has led to the #EndSARS & #EndSWAT Protests going on around the country.
Shockingly, the Police in response have continued to attack protesters, arrest and detain them for protesting, while shooting live rounds at protesters often resulting in grievous bodily harm and even death in some cases
We must all rise up to speak out against and to Stop All forms of Police brutality against the vulnerable members of our society particularly women and the youth. Enough is Enough!
Citizens deserve respect from law enforcement officers who are commissioned to principally defend, protect and support the defenseless in society, not oppress, torture, dehumanize and kill them. We find that police inefficiency, unprofessionalism and brutality has become the new order of the day and this must stop.
FIDA commends the strong determined and courageous youth for their principles and stand against police brutality and for their perseverance and commitment to the cause
Despite the dissolution of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) by the Inspector of General of Police on Sunday, 5th October 2020, following massive protests and the setup of SWAT in it’s place the protests have continued because the fundamental issues have not been properly addressed concerning the police force. They must be addressed!
FIDA Nigeria standing on her mandate insists that the rights and privileges of citizens cannot be infringed upon by the police
The Nigerian Government must therefore take most seriously, her responsibility to protect the lives and property of her citizens as enshrined under Section 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended).
FIDA Nigeria accordingly calls for:
- Better training and re-training of the police, ensuring better personal development and professionalism
- Re- evaluation and phycological analysis of members of the force including medical treatment for those needing same, even if it is in anger management and so forth
- Comprehensive overhaul and reform of the police force and all her supporting structures
- Better interaction and collaboration with relevant key stakeholders including community leaders/ influencers, ministries and parastatals to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of the police force
- Continuous sensitization and enlightenment for all police officers on matters and skills particularly relevant to their specialized tasks and assignments
- Adequate and necessary equipment and facilities to support efficient work delivery and performance
- Better welfare packages, including housing, regular appraisals, promotions including retirement benefits
- Targeted training for specialized units of the police especially prosecutors, those on gender desks etc.
- Better and Continuous Monitoring and evaluation of all members of the police and their units
- Better Public Relations and Packaging for the force and her officers; upgrading all for better career development.
FIDA Nigeria shouts out…Stop killing the youth and vulnerable people of Nigeria… Their lives matter!!
We commiserate with the families of those who have lost their loved ones and we demand a thorough independent investigation into all the pending cases on police abuse, brutality, and murder. All Officers found guilty must be brought to book, in the spirit of Justice for All.
Rhoda Prevail Tyoden
Country Vice President/National President
National Publicity Secretary