Call for Applications
The International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) Nigeria is a non-profit, non-governmental organization made up of over 2,000 female lawyers with several years’ experience in utilizing the law to address social problems in Nigeria. The organization’s mandate is the enhancement, promotion, protection, and preservation of the rights and welfare of women and children in Nigeria FIDA Nigeria implements key projects and activities aimed at providing access to justice to indigent persons, particularly women and children.
FIDA Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job title: Programme Officer Locations: Ekiti, Rivers, Plateau and Lagos
Vacancy Type: One-year fixed-term, renewable
The individual will work on a Ford-Foundation funded project on – “Work with Gatekeepers which includes Women Leaders, Youth, Religious Leaders, and Traditional Rulers to Address Social Norms that Negatively Affect the Status of Women and Entrench Violence Against Women and Girls”. FIDA Nigeria seeks to mitigate the incidence of gender-based violence in two communities/local government areas of Ekiti, Rivers, Plateau, and Lagos states, through community-led change, by altering the social norms, beliefs and traditional practices that subjugate women and girls in the target communities. Many acts of gender-based violence stem from traditional and religious practices and beliefs. Thus, it is necessary to invest in attitudinal/behavioural change of individuals as well as community shifts from harmful cultural practices.
The programme officer will work under the overall guidance and supervision of FIDA Nigeria National President/Country Vice President, National Secretary, and other National Executives, and report to them through the programme manager.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will carry out the following tasks:
- Under the supervision of the National Program Manager, provide technical leadership on the implementation of the project in the state.
- Plan and implement project activities in the state in close collaboration with the resident FIDA state branch and proactively deal with arising challenges, nuances, or changes.
- In collaboration with the resident FIDA State branch, develop and maintain stakeholder and network relationships which are essential to the successful implementation of the project.
- Develop products and prepare project and activity reports, technical briefings, background papers, and update notes for the project in the state.
- Contribute to the adherence to donor/grant requirements, including financial standards.
- Collaborate with the accounts staff to ensure the proper management of financial records, including the provision of complete documentation for requests and retirements.
- Support the smooth and effective flow of communication with FIDA Nigeria and the state branch.
- Support the programme manager and other project staff in following-up communication with partners, including official letters, requests for technical assistance, and the process of identifying participants and national experts, including trainers, for activities under the project.
- Represent (with approval from the Branch Chairperson and program manager) the State Branch at meetings, workshops, etc., and report back to the respective persons.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the National Executive Committee, Branch Chairperson, or Program Manager.
- Demonstrates professional competence in women and children’s rights and rule of law as well as, knowledge of relevant laws;
- Demonstrates a good understanding of the Ford-Foundation funded project to mitigate the incidence of gender-based violence, through community-led change, by altering the social norms, beliefs, and traditional practices that subjugate women and girls in the target communities.
- Demonstrates knowledge of programme management cycle, including monitoring and reporting;
- Ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues with a display of persistency;
- Commitment and passion for work and achievements;
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results;
- Motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Display of persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges and ability to remain calm in stressful situations;
- Ability to incorporate gender and child rights perspectives in the project and activities.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues within and outside of FIDA Nigeria to achieve organizational goals;
- Ability to solicit inputs by genuinely valuing the ideas and expertise of others;
- Willingness to learn from others;
1. Minimum required experience:
- 4 years’ work experience in advocacy for women and children’s rights issues.
- Experience in project implementation.
- Experience in community relations and mobilization.
2. Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following: Political Science, Law, or any discipline in the Social Sciences.
3. Languages: Fluency in written and spoken English & any prominent local language spoken in the State is desirable.
Qualified candidates should send curriculum vitae and cover letter addressed to the Country Vice-President/National President to email@example.com.
The subject of the e-mail should be “Application for the Position of Programme Officer [State]”.
Deadline: July 3, 2020.
Please note that Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and location of Project.