FIDA Nigeria, Webinar 1 Summary
FIDA Nigeria hosted her first webinar on May 14, 2020. It was themed. “Pandemics and the Protection of Women and Children using the tool of Law: The Covid-19 Experience”
Rhoda Prevail Tyoden, FIDA Nigeria CVP was the host, while Evelyn Membere-Asimiea FIDA Nigeria National Secretary was the moderator of the webinar.
The purpose was to expose how the Laws we have can be used as a veritable tool in safeguarding the rights of women and Children during Pandemics using the Covid-19 as a case study. (looking at it from the angles of the judiciary, the bar, the academic cycle and the civil society organizations)
FIDA Nigeria collaborated with her Partners
Global affairs Canada and ActionAid Nigeria in organizing this webinar.
Key speakers where
1. Hon. Justice Elizabeth Ama Oji
2. Dele Adesina, SAN
3. Professor Ine Nnadi
4. Nkechi Ilochi Omekede
The Target group was Legal practitioners, CSOs especially Feminists groups, Psychosocial therapists and practitioners.
Key take home points and expectations going forward include:
- The need for a consistent drive and push to ensure effective implementation of the plethora of laws that we have – FIDA is to therefore embark on more sensitization of the existence of these laws.
- NBA/FIDA Nigeria to come up with draft laws to push for more proactive ways of ensuring the proper enforcement of the existing laws
- The need for FIDA Nigeria to collaborate more with critical partners to ensure that issues concerning women and children are brought to the fore.
- The need for more funding for CSO’s to effectively intervene and ensure for the effective protection of the vulnerable and PLWD
In conclusion FIDA Nigeria looks forward to more collaborations particularly with the NBA and other CSO’s and NGO’s
There were a total of two hundred and seventy persons virtually in attendance.