- Published on Thursday, 04 July 2013 11:38
- Written by Super User
FIDA is the acronym for the Spanish name "Federación Internacional dé Abogadas" which translates to "International Federation of Women Lawyers". FIDA Nigeria is a Non-Governmental, Non-Profit Organization made up of women lawyers called to the practise of Law in Nigeria.
OUR VISION: A just, peaceful and equitable Nigerian society where women and children’s rights, interests are guaranteed, in which they have the freedom to choose and live their own future.
OUR MISSION: FIDA Nigeria’s mission is to promote, protect and preserve the rights, interests and well-being of women and children through the use of legal framework to ensure that they live free from all forms of discrimination, violence and abuse in the society.
OBJECTIVES OF FIDA
To enhance and promote the welfare of women and children, realizing that on women and children’s well being depend the happiness of the home and strength of the society.
To establish friendly international on the basis of equality and mutual respect for all peoples.
To promote the principles and aims of the United Nations in their legal and social aspects
To promote the study of comparative Law
To proffer advice to the government in all cases of neglect relating to women and children
1. In recognition of her work, FIDA Nigeria was honored by the Nigerian Government for their work on the Eradication of Drug Abuse.
2. Distribution of the African protocol on women throughout Nigeria, funded by IPAS.
3. FIDA Nigeria collaborated with Legal Aid Council and Federal Ministry of Women Affairs to Simplify the Child Rights Act.
4. Proffering advice to Government in all cases of neglet relating to women and children.
5. FIDA Nigeria collaborated with other CSOs, the World Bank and DFID for the National Gender Policy Dialogue project in 2012.
6. Advocating for Legislations that would promote the advancement and protecto of women and children.
7. The Women Protection Mandate Project is a platform through which FIDA provided legal support to female political candidates who wished to challenge election results where there were clear cases of irregularities that denied them the mandate. This served to increase the participation and representation of women in decision making and governance.
8. In Recognition of her work, FIDA Nigeria received 2 delegate slots to the 2014 Sovereign National Conference from Federal Government of Nigeria.
9. FIDA Nigeria managed the Secretariat for Legislative Advocacy Coalition on Violence against Women. [LACVAW]
10. FIDA Kano State Branch collaborated with other NGOs and Government Ministries for a project on formalization of registration of land title in the state as a way of empowering women to ensure their right to own landed property.
11. FIDA Akwa-Ibom Branch established a temporary shelter for battered women.
12. FIDA Abuja Branch conducted a awareness campaign on the Violence against Person Prohibition(VAPP) Act
13. FIDA Abuja Branch in collaboration with MSH conducted training for orphans & Vulnerable Children (OVC) Caregivers at Asaba, Delta State.
14. FIDA Niger was instrumental in the setting up of a 7 man committee to review harmful traditional practices against women in Local Government Areas of Niger State.
15. In recognition of Pro bono work, several Branches enjoy a waiver on filling fees for Court processes.
a] A person is qualified to be a member of the Organisation if She:-
(i) is admitted to the practice of law in Nigeria.
(ii) is a member of a State Branch of the Organisation and
(iii)Has paid the prescribed membership registration fee and annual dues at branch and national level.
b] Without prejudice to subsection(1) of this section, a law student may be admitted as a student a member of the Organisation on payment of a prescribed registration fee but shall not be entitled to vote or be voted for.
c] A female law graduate may be admitted as an associate member of the Organisation on payment of a prescribed registration fee but shall not be entitled to vote or be voted for.
d] The fees, levies and subscriptions are as set out in the first shedule of FIDA Nigeria constitution.
FIDA NIGERIA ANTHEM
FIDA serves to bring Liberation
To all men in Contemplation
To enhance our world together
Is our noble goal for richer life.
We bring light, through Education
To dislodge deeds of ignorance
With the tools of right Conviction
By the Law and Equity combined
FIDA Stands for all the Children
FIDA Stands for equal Justice
FIDA Stands for all our Women
Who will rise to have their best for all
Who will rise to have their best for all
Who will rise…………. to have their best………….. for…… all…….!
DEDICATED TO ALL WOMEN AND CHILDREN