Who We Are?
The International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) Nigeria is a Non-Governmental, Non-Profit Organization made up of women lawyers which was formed in 1964....
What We Do?
-To enhance and promote the welfare of women and children, realizing that on women and children’s well being depend the happiness of the home and strength of the society.
FIDA Nigeria elects new Executive team
- Published on Friday, 18 December 2015 14:42
- Written by Ugonna Bestman Elerueanya
The International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) Nigeria held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) and National Executive Council meeting on Tuesday 15th December, 2015, in Port Harcourt, Rivers State. The four day event commenced with a Health Walk/Public Sensitisation on the Violence Against Persons (Prohibition) (VAPP) Act, 2015. After the AGM was a free and fair election of new Executive members for the organisation. Hon Mrs Inime Ifenyinwa Aguma emerged the new Country Vice President/National President.
The new Executive team is made up of renowned legal professionals with wealth of experience in various aspects of litigation and human rights work spanning well over two decades. These esteemed women are experts in their own right.
1) Country Vice President/National President – INIME IFENYINWA AGUMA
2) Deputy Country Vice President – FATIMA OKUGADE
3) National Secretary – RHODA TYODEN-MOORE
4) Assistant National Secretary – EVELYN ASIMIEA
5) Treasurer – MARYAM AHMED-SABO MNI
6) Financial Secretary - OYIN OLATUBOSUN
7) National Publicity Secretary - PRINCESS FRANK-CHUKWUANI
8) Assistant National Publicity Secretary - TINA EKELE
9) Former Country Vice President (Ex-Officio) – HAUWA EVELYN SHEKARAU
10) Former National Secretary (Ex-Officio)– CHIGOZIRI OJIAKA
With Aguma as National President, FIDA Nigeria is set for litigation to ensure that women and children indeed obtain redress where their rights are proven to have been violated, and particularly test the strength of the VAPP Act. In her acceptance statement, she acknowledged that the immediate past National President, Ms Hauwa Evelyn Shekarau, “left a big foundation and we will build on it”. She assured everyone that she is ready to take the organisation to the next level while ensuring that she maintains the momentum already created.
The new team was inaugurated by Her Excellency, the wife of the Executive Governor of Rivers State, Honourable Justice Suzzette Nyesome Wike.
The event was concluded with a dinner hosted by the Acting Chief Judge of Rivers State, Honourable Justice Daisy Okocha with Honourable Justice Wike, in attendance.
FIDA Nigeria wishes everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
MS PRINCESS FRANK-CHUKWUANI
PUBLICITY SECRETARY, FIDA NIGERIA